[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1059: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1059: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4718: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4720: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4721: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4722: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
Minifinity The Classic Mini Forum and Resource | • View topic - asbestos!

asbestos!

Chat about minis and the fun you have in them, but please ask technical questions in the relevant sections

Moderators: Club Admins, Minifinity Staff

asbestos!

Postby deanymini » Tue 8th Aug 2006, 09:56pm

me and a mate of mine were fitting some chrome wipers and other stuff when i noticed an asbestos warning on his slam panel. the car is a '93 cooper 1.3i. should we be concerned?
deanymini

RE: asbestos!

Postby hammoj28 » Tue 8th Aug 2006, 10:18pm

Had this exact question come up on another car forum the other day. I thought it would be for the brakes as old pads used to be made of it. But its also to do with the fact that the starter motor heat shield used to be made of it on some cars plus the clutch also has something to do with it, i dont know what though.
hammoj28

Postby Anton » Tue 8th Aug 2006, 11:16pm

i very much doubt that any brake pads still exist with asbestos in them... same goes for clutch plates.

i come across asbestos a fair but at work... if you think it looks dodgy"DONT DISTURB IT"
Anton

Tag Line: There is no such thing as a fast 998
Drives: 04 Cooper S, 96 Ginetta G27, 16 Mazda 6

Postby hammoj28 » Wed 9th Aug 2006, 12:13am

I think they stopped using asbestos in the early 80's so im not sure. Brake pads used to be made of it but they are something else now. Could it be possible that the soundproofing on the bulk head is the nasty stuff?
hammoj28

Re: RE: asbestos!

Postby siliconskum » Wed 9th Aug 2006, 07:05am

hammoj28 wrote:Could it be possible that the soundproofing on the bulk head is the nasty stuff?

No, thats just plastic foam with sprayed on waterproof coating.

Asbestos would only be used in very high temp areas, parts like the clutch plate (think these might still have some asbestos in them), Brake pads, exhaust seals and sealing compunds, possibly in some head gasket material. I think that *all* asbestos in production cars was swaped over to other material by manufacturers in about '98 - '99 ish.

Anyhow, you don't need to worry too much, the Asbestos used in any of the more modern cars (since the about late 70's I think) have only used white asbestos and in fairly small quantinties. White asbestos is MUCH less toxic to the human body due to the size of the fibres. Blue asbestos is the stuff you have to watch out for!
Anyway, although most people think it's banned, Asbestos is STILL in use for certain aplications as there is nothing that comes close to it's temperature resistance and durability.

Just wear a paper dust mask if working on the cluctch, Brakes and exhaust, and even if they no longer contain Asbestos, there are still some NASTY stuff in the dust that you don't want in your lungs!

SS
siliconskum

RE: Re: RE: asbestos!

Postby Bondbill » Wed 9th Aug 2006, 09:04am

yea they used it on brakes im sure they used it till 90's lol.
Bondbill

Return to General Mini Chat