Fiesta Brake Conversion

tuning, repairs, servicing & maintenance

Moderators: Club Admins, Minifinity Staff

Fiesta Brake Conversion

Postby carthorse » Mon 29th Nov 2004, 05:59pm

Right, after losing out on yet another 7.5" brake set up on e bay when the price went steaming past my limit, my thoughts are turning to the oft whispered about Fiesta conversion.

Has anyone on here actually tryed this? what bits of what Festa are needed and is the end result worth it? ie. is the result at least as good as the stock 7.5" set up?

Lastly how easy is it to do? if lots of making/bodging/machining of brackets and shims are required i'll revert to plan B (stay on 12"s and moan all the time about wanting 10"s)
carthorse

RE: Fiesta Brake Conversion

Postby mattpink » Mon 29th Nov 2004, 06:03pm

I'm pretty sure 'Billydude' is the chap to talk to on this, but not seen him about for a while.

Matt.
mattpink
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: 1990 Mayfair project
VW Passat daily

Postby mini-sprite » Mon 29th Nov 2004, 07:52pm

you can find billydude on miniclassic where there is a huge thread about the subject, also on minimania and turbominis. Been thinking about this very subject of late i need somthing to go under 10" wheels but will not pay over the odds for an "s" setup that will need rebuilding anyway. I have thought of ally calipers but am not sure exactly what wheels they go under.
cheers Paul
mini-sprite

Postby calumlorimer » Mon 29th Nov 2004, 11:29pm

royallingham is the man to speak to about these brakes.

he changed from fully overhauled 8.4's to these and reckons they are as good if not better.

apart from sorting out brake hoses and sourcing the right bits (cheap but tricky to find) there is nothing hard about it.
calumlorimer

Postby samson2 » Tue 30th Nov 2004, 08:21pm

I thought your missus was making you get a "proper" car?
samson2

Re: RE: Fiesta Brake Conversion

Postby carthorse » Wed 1st Dec 2004, 08:20pm

samson2 wrote:I thought your missus was making you get a "proper" car?

Ha ha, it'll be a cold day in hell before i'm seen driving one of those Fiat Multipla things like you sunshine :lol:

But i've been trawling through the threads on mini classic and I think i'll definatly be going down this route, those in the know reckon you can end up with front stoppers at least as good as the metro turbo set up for an outlay of about £100 which sounds like bargin of the century to me! :D
carthorse

RE: Re: RE: Fiesta Brake Conversion

Postby royallingham » Wed 1st Dec 2004, 08:44pm

Yes it was Billydude that got this going - and he supplied me with an excellent set of Fiesta MK I calipers. You also need Metro vented disc drive flanges, your standard Mini discs (not vented ones !) need turning down to 7.9" - which just means taking the rusty outer 1/4" off them - and I see MOSS sell 7.9" discs if you cannot get them machined - and you need m10x1 flexi hoses to fit the calipers. These are excellent disc brakes - very solid pedal, no judders, no squeals, no snatching - pulls up in a straight line - in fact all the things the standard 8.4" discs are famous for NOT doing ! And I have no servo, and the pedal pressure is fine. Some say it can be done with later Fiesta calipers - I don't know, but it's fine with MK Is !! Anyone serious about this and needing any advice feel free to contact me.
royallingham

Tag Line: Steam & Diesel Driver at Bo'ness Railway
Drives: LNER Morayshire
Thomas Tank Engine
Sulzer Diesels

Postby samson2 » Thu 2nd Dec 2004, 11:20pm

Hang on, surely not Metro drive flanges as then mini wheels won't fit due to the wheel centre guide bosses. My KAD system uses mini flanges with the holes opened up for the (metric) vented Metro disc set screws. As mini discs are UNF, why do you need Metro flanges? (Thought- Are early Metro solid discs UNF or metric?)

At least the Multipla works Mick -unlike BOTH of our Coopers!! Anyway it's my wife's motor so I can't be totally banished! & the Cooper WAS my daily driver & will be again when the 1380's in. Anyway, the swamp monster's ace when you're going on the P**s with the boys & every passenger gets a free paper bag with eye holes cut out!!
samson2

Postby calumlorimer » Fri 3rd Dec 2004, 12:19am

dunno about the fitment but the vented flanges are to move the disc out slightly so that the disc lines up in the caliper correctly
calumlorimer

Postby bud666 » Fri 3rd Dec 2004, 12:30am

whenever you do a metro 4 pot conversion you have to get the wheel centre lugs machined off the flange, i'd imagine it would be the same with the fiesta setup. i'm gonna have a look at the fiesta route after christmas i think.
bud666

Drives: 200hp clubman

Postby ceejam » Fri 3rd Dec 2004, 09:43am

As mentioned above, to use Mini flanges with Metro discs you either have to opebn up the holes to get Metro bolts in, or you can use cap(allen) screws. If using Metro calipers, and discs, you really need metro flanges to get it all to line up though I'd have thought.

Roy, were Metro flanges required with the Fester setup? I seem to remember they were?
ceejam

Postby samson2 » Sat 4th Dec 2004, 12:57am

By the time you've sorted all this out Mick, the Mk1 fiesta caliper will be as rare as an "S" one!
samson2

Postby samson2 » Sat 4th Dec 2004, 12:57am

By the time you've sorted all this out Mick, the Mk1 fiesta caliper will be as rare as an "S" one!
samson2

Postby royallingham » Sat 4th Dec 2004, 11:14am

You MUST use drive flanges from a vented disc Metro. These move the standard Mini solid disc out slightly to make enough room for the Fester caliper mounting flanges which fix to the hub on the outside edge. Metro plain discs are slightly different - I bought a pair on ebay (very cheaply!!) by mistake (not my mistake - they were sold as for a Mini!) - and yes they came with M10 mounting holes where the Mini ones are UNF. Fortunately they are also thicker at the point where they mount to the flange and I was able to machine off the 6mm extra thickness and use them ok - but proper Mini discs are the ones to use !! And YES, the wheel location flanges may have to be removed from the outer face of the Vented Metro drive flanges - and I stress it MUST be vented Metro flanges - depends what wheels you have - but this is simple hacksaw/file job.
Others say this can be done with MK II and MK III Fester calipers - I don't know - but I can say these are REALLY GOOD brakes and cost me in total only about £70 to do the job.
One point is - there is no going back - because you need to drill out the caliper mounting holes in the Mini hub carriers - so if you have any doubts pick up a spare pair of hub carriers before you start. That's what I did - and so all the work was done off the car - the actual change-over was done in about 4 hours - mostly re-arranging the brake pipes.
Anyone seriously doing this and I can advise/send pics/show my car - but it's in Central Scotland!!
royallingham

Thomas Tank Engine
Sulzer Diesels

Postby chairchild » Sun 5th Dec 2004, 12:31am

any chance of lobbing on a pic of the hubs+calipers (with wheel removed obviously!) :wink:
chairchild

Postby royallingham » Sun 5th Dec 2004, 02:15pm

I will take pics first time the wheels are off - but have no idea how to post them on here. I will happily email to anyone who drops me the address. I do have a couple of pics showing the brake pipe arrangement - which I thought was going to be the hardest bit of the whole job, but turned out not so bad - although there was a fair bit of thought and 'forward planning' put into it !!
royallingham

Thomas Tank Engine
Sulzer Diesels

Postby royallingham » Sun 5th Dec 2004, 02:17pm

If this is going to be popular - could it be put up into the sticky section ???
royallingham

Thomas Tank Engine
Sulzer Diesels

Postby mini-sprite » Sun 5th Dec 2004, 02:23pm

I'm interested in pics as well Roy, and i think its a good idea to have it in the sticky section.
cheers Paul
mini-sprite

Postby bud666 » Sun 5th Dec 2004, 11:19pm

just a quick question, do you need to use standard fiesta callipers or XR2 ones? ive just sourced a set of normal ones for £20 if they're the ones i need!
bud666

Drives: 200hp clubman

Postby mini-sprite » Sun 5th Dec 2004, 11:22pm

No bud the normal ones are no good you need to send them to me i'll pm my address so as they don't clutter up your garage :wink:
mini-sprite

Postby chairchild » Sun 5th Dec 2004, 11:52pm

royallingham, all you need to do, is go onto the "post reply" button at the bottom of the page (not the buttons used for the quick-reply box) and at the bottom, it's got an option to attatch a file. If you get stuck, just shout out :D
chairchild

Fiesta Brake Conversion

Postby mini-sprite » Sun 5th Dec 2004, 11:59pm

some photo's that Roy sent earlier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mini-sprite

Postby royallingham » Thu 9th Dec 2004, 09:13pm

From these you will see that the front dampers need to be moved to BEHIND the top suspension arm. This is simple to do - just swap the upper mounting brackets from left to right and turn the lower bolt round in the top arm with an extra couple of washers to help line it up with the top bracket.
I tried various places for the brake pipe anchor bracket - the place shown here is 5" up and 5" in from the back edge of the inner wing panel. The pipe is then well clear of eveything and is under no strain in any position of the suspension and/or steering lock.

Thanks CC - how do I get a pic into my name box ??
royallingham

Thomas Tank Engine
Sulzer Diesels

Postby chairchild » Fri 10th Dec 2004, 12:45am

lol, theres a button at the VERY top called "Profile", that'll take you to another screen, and at the botom is where you can add/link a piccy :wink:
chairchild

Postby royallingham » Fri 10th Dec 2004, 12:58am

Yes - but up to half an hour ago I couldn't get it to work ! Finally, after much re-sizing you can see the fine result to the left ! Me and my trusty Rally Elf Cooper S on Mull, many moons ago.
royallingham

Thomas Tank Engine
Sulzer Diesels

Return to Mechanical