Minifinity The Classic Mini Forum and Resource | • View topic - Windscreen seal

Windscreen seal

tuning, repairs, servicing & maintenance

Moderators: Club Admins, Minifinity Staff

Windscreen seal

Postby Daveywantsaparty » Sat 24th Aug 2019, 08:17am

Hi guys,

Sorry, I've been a poor participant of this forum I know. I just don't seem to get any time to do anything at the moment. The kids only 14 months and he has taken over our lives...

Anyway, after 10 months of glorious mini ownership the mot came up. I decided to replace the windscreen seal as there was a minor leaking issue but have a quick question about it; do you need to remove the engine and brace the car when you are fitting a wide filtch repair panel? If so how would you brace it?

Cheers,

Dave
Daveywantsaparty

Drives: Ford Fiesta titanium MP140

Re: Windscreen seal

Postby Nozzle » Mon 26th Aug 2019, 09:29am

I didn't remove the engine, the front subframe works as an adequate brace. You will need to remove the upper dash rail cover if it has one though. And also peel back all of that foam sound deadening, and get rid of any dust and grime which will go up in flames if caught by a weld spark/blob. I started off with CO2 pub gas which was terrible, don't waster your time with it on thin panels - go Hobbyweld Argon/CO2 mix or similar.

After you've welded, use Tiger seal in all the right places and spray in some Galvafroid/Zinc 182 on the underside/boxed sections afterwards.

Nozzle
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: 1995 Rover Cooper SPi
1966 Morris Countryman

Postby Daveywantsaparty » Mon 26th Aug 2019, 07:17pm

Any pictures of the filtch panel itself? Is it seam welded around the bottom? The inner side will obviously be seam while and the top and hinge panel spot welded?

There is also a chance that the hinge panel will need replacing in some places. If this were to happen so I need to brace?
Daveywantsaparty

Drives: Ford Fiesta titanium MP140

Postby Nozzle » Tue 27th Aug 2019, 05:36pm

I'm not particularly proud of these welding jobs as it's not very neat, but they cleaned up okay. you get the gist of the panel layouts - obviously the wings were cut off too. I didn't have the engine out for any of this. Use correct sized bolts through the hinge bolt holes to maintain alignment. I splurged a load of gravitex on afterwards

Nozzle
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: 1995 Rover Cooper SPi
1966 Morris Countryman

Postby Nozzle » Tue 27th Aug 2019, 05:38pm

I found the drivers side needed some of the floor replacing too
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor