Replacing engine mounts

tuning, repairs, servicing & maintenance

Moderators: Club Admins, Minifinity Staff

Replacing engine mounts

Postby andersemil » Thu 24th Apr 2008, 03:01pm

Hello,

I'm contemplating replacing the engine mounts on my Mini 1000. The reason is excessive resonance in the cabin, especially at idle (things are rattling apart). I expect the procedure to be as simple as supporting the frame on stands, jacking up the engine so the weight is taken off the mounts, then unbolting the old mounts and replacing them with these easy-fit ones (NA):

http://minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=36757

Quick questions: How much of an improvement can I expect? What does a "bad" engine mount look like? And-- anyone done it, what should I be afraid of? (apart from an engine hanging above my head) Would I be better off changing the engine stabilizer rubber bushes? Do they transmit resonance as well?

I realize this is a very lightweight car and a simple design so I might never get a Jaguar-like ride, but atm it just feels insanely "rough", almost as if sitting on top of the engine.

TIA
Anders
andersemil

Re: Replacing engine mounts

Postby CallumLaw » Thu 24th Apr 2008, 10:32pm

One of the easiest jobs you will do.

No need to jack anything as the engine is bolted in anyway, just need a socket set and a spanner. Cant remember the sizes, but you'll find out.

There's a mount on top, on the left hand side of the engine block that attaches to the bulkhead. And one on the bottom of the engine, on the same side as the top.

You need: http://minispares.com/Product.aspx?kid=37854 I think. Not sure if thats the bottom ones, but has the top bushes.

And don't over tighten the bolt on the top of the engine, you're shafted. May be as well to get a new bolt for it. You can get a repair bracket if need be. But poly bushes snap bolts, that's the way I see it, and I'll never use them again.
CallumLaw

Tag Line: Can I have my account back please Sir?
Drives: Manky Mongrel.

Postby CallumLaw » Thu 24th Apr 2008, 10:38pm

May also be the front subframe mounts.
CallumLaw

Postby andersemil » Thu 24th Apr 2008, 10:46pm

CallumLaw wrote:There's a mount on top, on the left hand side of the engine block that attaches to the bulkhead. And one on the bottom of the engine, on the same side as the top.

I think you're talking about the stabilizers... But thanks anyway, they're awfully cheap and seem easy to replace so I'll do them anyway. I was wondering if replacing the engine mounts at the bottom of the transmission and radiator will do wonders for my ride quality... They seem to say so in the sales talk on that page. That's a worse job, though, requires plenty of beer I assume.
andersemil

Postby CallumLaw » Thu 24th Apr 2008, 10:53pm

Ah, get you. Sorry.

Have never even thought about this. But would suggest doing the stabilizers and subframe mounts first, much easier.
CallumLaw

Postby digitalfriction2 » Fri 25th Apr 2008, 08:22am

If you replace the 2 main engine mounts, then go for the ones with captive nuts, saves a lot of trouble. To change them with the engine in car, I strap the engine to a lifting arm/winch, undo one side from underneath the subframe, lift the engine a bit so it clears the subframe, then struggle to undo the 3 bolts that hold it onto the engine. You can then slide in the new mount and struggle refitting the bolts. You may need to undo the stabilisers to allow the engine to lift. Just remember that the earlier minis didnt have all these stabilisers, in fact mine has the 2 engine mounts and the top stabiliser, thats it. So with good mounts and bushes you should be able to stop the knocking.
digitalfriction2

Postby andersemil » Wed 30th Apr 2008, 01:26pm

I had a closer look at my engine and noticed there is one stabilizer on top to the left of the rocker cover, and one at the bottom which is attached to the front of the subframe. The rubber bushes look worn and cracked, but having a quick feel on the stabilizer bar doesn't seem like they transmit much resonance. Rather, the subframe at the engine mount below the radiator is resonating largely. I bet the radiator has cooked the rubber in it and it has become solid. In any event I'm gonna replace both mounts and stabilizer bushes as soon as I can, I think it will do wonders to the noise level and feel of the car. At the moment highway noise is unbearable, the whole cabin is like sitting inside a subwoofer at certain speeds!
andersemil

Return to Mechanical