Minifinity The Classic Mini Forum and Resource | • View topic - Suspension adjustment

Suspension adjustment

tuning, repairs, servicing & maintenance

Moderators: Club Admins, Minifinity Staff

Suspension adjustment

Postby Mini98c » Sat 12th Jun 2021, 07:20pm

Hi guys I'm pretty new to minis, I have a 98 Cooper mpi with spax red suspension and desperately need to raise the ride height. I've looked on spax site and emailed them as the downloads weren't working, I've also looked for instructions online to no avail! Anybody have experience with these? Cheers
Mini98c

Drives: 98 S plate Mini cooper, new to minis

Re: Suspension adjustment

Postby Nozzle » Sun 13th Jun 2021, 01:16pm

If you want to adust the ride hide, it has nothing to do with the item you've identified as "Red Spax" - these are shock absorbers and don't determine ride height. It might have cones that are perished, or the cones could be good but needs an adjustment on the seat thing that it sits on (that is an after market component). Did you fit the red spax or previous owner? Did the previous owner change anything else? If it has been intentionally lowered, it might have been fitted with shorter shocks.

See this Minispares drawing
http://www.minispares.com/catalogues/cl ... spx?1~8~66

part 20 is the cone, could be worn/crushed
part 16 and part 18 can be bought in an adjustable after market set, and you might have these (http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... |Back%20to)

Nozzle
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: 1995 Rover Cooper SPi
1966 Morris Countryman

Postby Mini98c » Sun 13th Jun 2021, 07:31pm

So it has sports ride adjustable spax suspension, adjusta ride rear bars, adjusta ride knuckle joints, adjustable tie rod kit and fully polybushed on the recipts from a few thousand miles ago. Thanks for the info
Mini98c

Postby Nozzle » Mon 14th Jun 2021, 12:42pm

Get your spanners on to the nuts on the adjustarides then. There's a ratio of adjustment, which would probably say so in the fitting instrutctions, but also might be able to find on here via the search function.

Nozzle
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: 1995 Rover Cooper SPi
1966 Morris Countryman

Postby Mini98c » Wed 16th Jun 2021, 07:45pm

Thanks need to look through everything properly!
Mini98c

Postby GillTX » Wed 9th Feb 2022, 08:10am

I know it's a long shot but how's the height adjustment? We'll check this Cooper soon as my friend's new project and he's looking to adjust the ride height. Gonna take a closer look after we finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the truck this week.
GillTX

Drives: Cooper Mini

Return to Mechanical