Minifinity The Classic Mini Forum and Resource | • View topic - 1984 mini mayfair

1984 mini mayfair

A place for everyone to share their experiences of pain, pleasure, sorrow and excitement... relating to their mini projects of course !

Moderators: Club Admins, Minifinity Staff

Re: 1984 mini mayfair

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 6th Aug 2012, 07:45pm

with the help of a lot of bashing and some very tight wheel nuts I managed (in the end) to get the longer studs into the flange. I didnt find the time today to reassemble everything and see if the calipers fit under the wheels with that spacer so fingers crossed for that.

I also now have tie bars fitted...

so just waiting on the top arms to turn up and I will have it all :) (for this bit of the project anyway)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: Last thing I drove was a 1980 Mitsubishi Colt

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 13th Aug 2012, 07:37pm

So I am still waiting for the upper arms (the ebay guy has not sent them and has not answered any of my messages so ebay them selves are on it now) in the mean time I have sorted the wheel spacer issue, the 10mm spacers I bought were not quite thick enough so with some sheet steel I tested it, and then got hold of some 2mm sheet aluminium and made some secondary spacers. This made the sum of the spacers push the wheel out 12mm and that works a treat, here are the spacers I made...

so thats me just waiting for these dam upper arms and then I can assemble the front suspension and check all is well with that before attacking the subframe for engine fitting. While I was waiting I have painted hammerite on a few bits and started fiddling with the wiper set up. The wiper motor is working so I am fixing up the rest so it all works, one of the lengths of outer rack tube was so bent and rusted that it snapped as I straightened it. New ones seem to be silly money so I am having a crack at knocking one up with some copper micro bore pipe, more on that as it develops.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 16th Aug 2012, 06:10pm

I hate to tempt fate by speaking to soon but.... I have eventually got hold of the ebay woman who was selling me the top arms and it turns out it was her son who was selling with her account while she was away (hence the no contact) and he had posted them but had not got a tracking no. so was nothing they could do about them not turning up at my house. Disappointed I was refunded the full amount and started looking for others. The following day I received another email from her informing me the courier company had just returned the parcel to her because the delivery address had been obscured by a liquid spill, and did I still want them. My answer was YES, I had wanted them when I first ordered them I had wanted them for the 3-4 weeks I had been waiting and I still want them now (because I cant find them anywhere near as good or cheap anywhere else!) lol so I payed her (again) and they were going in the post (next day delivery) as of today (I hope!!!!!!). So I hope that is the end of that saga and that will complete my suspension set up.

While I was waiting for all that to be sorted I have been tinkering with a few other bits, the wipers as I mentioned needed me to make a new section out of copper pipe which I did. This is my new bit of pipe and the broken old bit of outer rack...

and here it is after I made it just about the same shape as the original and splayed the ends of the pipe so they cant slip out

and then here it is in place and working

The 8mm micro bore copper pipe is just the right dimensions for the job but is definitely a bit softer than the original tube, once it is installed I doubt this will make a blind bit of differences but handling it as it is I need to be gentle not to bend it all out of shape, Just need a park switch and it's all done. Other than that I did a bit of restoration on the heater got that in and checked it will all work. So now just waiting with baited breath for my delivery tomorrow.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 17th Aug 2012, 08:01pm

Despite waiting in all morning my parcel was (for reasons beyond me) delivered to my neighbor? He came and gave it to me and bingo there it was, finally!...

So time to get it all together...

Fitting it was a fair bit trickier than I was expecting it felt like I needed about four hands but I got it in eventually. I realise that there is no weight on the wheels at the moment and so things are not as they will be but.... It seams to me the fact that with no load the coil springs just flop about is a bit concerning, when i pull up and apply some load it all seems to be fine but there are times in normal use when the load will be temporarily removed from the suspension and the springs moving from there correct position cant be good! Especially as it is possible for them to come to rest in a different position. The only way that is instantly apparent to correct this is to wind out the hi-low's so the amount of play when the load is off is reduced, this would mean a silly high ride height and I cant have that. There must be something i'm missing (physically missing or mentally missing). This is a view of the top of the tower with the spring and no load on the suspension.....

I will obviously need to do something about this but it occurs to me that there must already be a solution to this problem as I am not the first to fit coil springs so if anyone knows the answer please do let me know.

But back on a positive note having put a wheel on I am even more sure my Alcan wheels are going to look the business when all is finished :D

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Zippyrude » Fri 17th Aug 2012, 08:58pm

are they fast road or race coils?
Zippyrude
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: Help support Minifinity
paypal@minifinity.com
Drives: projects galore

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 17th Aug 2012, 09:19pm

there were 3 options hard, standard and soft and I went for standard (the black ones) I got them here...

https://www.minispares-online.co.uk/ind ... _cat_id=65
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 18th Aug 2012, 07:33pm

It was quite a constructive day a number of things are now sorted, firstly it became clear that on full lock the flexy caliper hose was fouling on the tie bar :( but after some thought I realised It was a simple fix and swapped the calipers over to the pipe now comes out of the top of the caliper not the bottom :) .

I cleaned, fixed up, tested and re-installed the heater and some of its related pipe work...

It all seems in fairly good order, not sure about the radiator fixings as of yet but that can wait. The pipe running to the window demister was missing so recycled the pipe off an old hover and that seems to work fine, the big fresh air inlet pipe for reasons that escape me it is lined with foam? But whatever I left the foam in there cleaned it and fitted it.

As it is at the moment easily accessible I decided to paint the rail at the bottom of the windscreen where the demister air comes out, it was in quite a state and will be tricky to do when the windscreen and stuff are installed...

And im not sure that the coil springs are as much of a problem as I was thinking the other day, I have made them a rubber washer type thing to go at the top of the tower and wound the hi-low's up a bit so they are not flopping about and I am fairly confident that will be fine...

so now I think the car is sat waiting for an engine!!

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby The_Docmeister » Sun 19th Aug 2012, 08:48am

Just a thought, are the bleed nipples still pointing upwards with your swapped over callipers?
I'm not particularly familiar with the Fiesta brakes, but you might have problems bleeding them if the nipples are facing the ground - guess how I know... :oops:
The_Docmeister

Postby Phatwiji » Sun 19th Aug 2012, 09:26am

Good point and worth checking, the bleed nipples are here....

and I dont think it will be a problem, I think they would be usable either way round. But thanks for mentioning it as it had not occurred to me to check.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 23rd Aug 2012, 08:46pm

I we reading the diary of this dude on the 16v mini forum and it mentioned swapping round the heater matrix so the pipes come out in the passengers foot well not the drivers foot well in order that there is more space for the pedals etc. and I thought "thats a good idea I can do that". And so I did, I dismantled the heater and discovered it was filthy and all the foam parts had been reduced to a sticky dust, so I had some cleaning to do...

So with everything out and clean I stuck some felt down the side of the matrix...

I needed to make some new holes in the opposite panel so the pipes could come out the other side

and covered up the old holes

then with the help of some new foam I re-installed the matrix the new way round

and then here it is back in the car..

So that all went well. I then discovered that the gearbox I have for my engine wont fit (a stupid mistake of mine!) and for now I do not have the cash for other parts so sadly things will have to be paused for a while until I have sorted out a few things. I am suffering a slight loss of faith in the mini project and am hoping I am not just wasting all my money :(
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Fri 24th Aug 2012, 10:17pm

i am sure you don't mean that after all this hard work but just in case, please keep the faith, i am loving reading this, the engine stuff is all a bit technical for me, so its great to see the bodywork and suspension stuff. I fitted electric windows to my first mini and had loads of grief with them, i gave up in the end not knowing about places like this, I am fascinated reading through your journal/journey
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: My other half up the wall :)

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 25th Aug 2012, 10:42am

Yes the electric windows are a pain, there is just no space! I still get the fear that when the project finally reaches the end and it is all back together and painted etc. that I will wind up or down the window and it wont work. Then I will either have to take it all apart again or live with windows that dont work :? on the other hand they may work fine, in which case I will just ask people not to use them lol. I am sure I will be back into the project in no time its just some stress and money problems in the real world bringing me down. It has been clear to everyone around me how good this stuff has been for me over the last few months and with luck and this continued progress I hope I will still be able to forge some sort of livelihood despite my continued difficulty's.
I am also a little concerned about the technical nature of fitting this new engine, I am not totally sure of anything? I think I was sure it was the right thing to get when i got it, but I dont remember now so am not sure again. I tried to check the emails etc. from when i got it but that just confused me more as the guy I got it from was saying he removed it from G wagon not a wagon R :shock: ? Ok but with some frantic googling I decided the mistake was his as the G wagon is a mercedes and my engine says suzuki all over it :roll:
So yes being chief in charge of remembering everything is sucking and is very hard for me.
On the hole though doing this project has been and is great and as soon as I get the cash together for the correct gearbox and find it I will crack on with the subframe.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 25th Aug 2012, 06:18pm

I have just spotted something that will explain why I have been having so much grief getting the discs to work under 10s! I was re watching the "mini addicts" you tube video explaining the process and noticed this...
(This image is lifted from the above mentioned video!)

Now call me mad if you want but it looks very much to me like they have in fact ground a substantial amount of metal off the corners of their caliper? This would explain why when I did it it didn't fit until I ground some off my corners...
(this is a picture of my caliper)

It looks like I could safely take off a bit more and still be within what they did (which is good as I am not totally happy with the clearance yet!) I have found that video really helpful but I do wish they had mentioned that lol it would have saved me some stress.

maybe there caliper was just different to mine to start with! they are both Mk 2 calipers I believe?
Last edited by Phatwiji on Sat 25th Aug 2012, 06:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gus88 » Sat 25th Aug 2012, 06:45pm

Looking good - keep it up :)
gus88
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: "Running really nicely"
Drives: 1988 Mayfair 998cc
1991 MX-5 1.6
2016 Octavia vRS

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 29th Aug 2012, 07:25pm

On the strength of what I was talking about in my last post I decided to grind some more off of the calipers to allow a better fit under me wheels, in doing so I was able to see that the area I have been grinding is far from the thinnest area of metal on the caliper, in fact it is still nearly twice as thick as most of the rest of the caliper. So I am happy it will not have any negative effect...

when I put them back on and under the wheels the fit was good :D finally I am happy.

Next up I decided to go one step further with the heater and and move the fresh air inlet from the drivers footwell to the passengers footwell as well, this involved moving stuff from one side of the heater to the other and now the drivers side looks like this...

and the passengers side looks like this...

I still need to move the outer hole from the drivers side inner wing to the other side of the car but will do that next time. That will have freed up loads of space on the drivers side :)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minimanryan » Sun 2nd Sep 2012, 02:30pm

Very inspireing to me To get my city done love what u dun with the rear bins and the quarter panels and door frame idea Is it mk1 fiesta brakes or mk2.
And have u replaced ur scuttle panel because on mine ive been told by many people only herratage ones fit propper and can i ask how old u are taking on a project that big
minimanryan

Tag Line: Hmmm what does this button do. Ooops
Drives: a clubby estate 1979 and a mini city auto 1991

Postby Phatwiji » Sun 2nd Sep 2012, 03:58pm

minimanryan wrote:Very inspireing to me To get my city done love what u dun with the rear bins and the quarter panels and door frame idea Is it mk1 fiesta brakes or mk2.
And have u replaced ur scuttle panel because on mine ive been told by many people only herratage ones fit propper and can i ask how old u are taking on a project that big

Firstly I am 31 years old (but don't let that fool you my junk is not that together! I suffered a head injury and so have some difficulty's.) secondly no I didn't replace the scuttle but I did have to repair it at both ends, I did use exclusivity non genuine repair panels on this project, and no they didn't all fit that well but it was nothing I couldn't get around some how (on reflection though I cant recommend them unless you enjoy the challenge and like the work!) and lastly I have mk2 fiesta calipers and if you are interested in the idea watch this as it was my inspiration when I started http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fbBWdSDT7E

I am glad you are enjoying the project and thanks for your comments

moving on I do have some progress to report even if it is just little bits of fiddling for now, I am not yet in a position to really press on as I need the correct gearbox. What I have done is to acquire at last the correct number of caliper retaining springs/brackets! My calipers came with only one, then when I came to get another I could not find it and so I had none, I bought what I believed to be the correct ones from the internet but when I got them decided they were wrong. So I went back on the internet and after extensive research I found what I was sure were the right ones, but when I got them they were exactly the same as the set I had just bought? So I tried fitting them again and discovered the problem......It turns out I am a tool and had just not fitted the first set at all well, but at least they fit. I then found the one I had to start with so now I have 5 lol :oops:

this is them fitted....

And then re my earlier post I needed to move the heaters fresh air in let hole from one wing to the other so more hole moving...

oh p.s. the caliper springs pull the caliper in and away from the wheel allowing even more clearance :D

p.p.s don't ask me why but the flash on my camera on my phone makes everything look much rustier than it in fact, is. (which sucks when I am selling things on ebay!)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 5th Sep 2012, 10:29am

In going through the bits of my mini I do already have I came across the air vents that are usually fitted to either end of the dash area, they looked in reasonable condition until I went as far as trying to swivel the vents to any other direction but the one they were in. Turns out in 30 years the felt around the ball section of the vent had gone hard as sand paper and now wouldn't allow any movement at all. I had a quick look and it seemed that it would all come apart so I decided I could fix them, 30 minutes later I decided they were in fact never designed to come apart at all as they had been glued together! But sod it I thought I either make these good or I have to get others anyway, and so my dismantling attempts became more violent. That worked and it all came to bits, the only parts to be damaged cant be seen when it is properly fitted so I am happy with that. Once in bits I cleaned up the parts removed the old felt and glued in some new (I only had red in the correct thickness but I like the look so thats ok :) )

Then I reassembled and glued things back in place leaving a beautifully smooth action that I am most pleased with, I did the same again for the other one.

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Don_jarr » Thu 6th Sep 2012, 08:42pm

I love this build especially the inspirational doors, (and of course the windows will go up and down just fine,) but just wanted to say I too found out the side vents were not meant to come apart, but a prod with a flat screwdriver later ;) ;) I had them apart, and a bit of felt they worked a treat. Not sure why they glued them when they had a twist lock built in, but perhaps they found they came apart on early models so glued them all, or perhaps they did it just to annoy people that wanted to fiddle with them.

Keep up the updates, I love seeing how your doing.

:D
Don_jarr

Tag Line: If it moves, modify it. ;)

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 8th Sep 2012, 12:19pm

Thanks Don, I personally worry about the windows because I know if there is anything wrong with them I cant get to a lot of the parts of them now to fix! Well not without re-skinning she doors again. I will just keep my fingers crossed with that now.

Having found out more than I knew at the start I now know how I want the underside of the car finished to keep it good, unfortunately I have already put a coat of hammerite underbody seal/waxoil on :( so I need to clean it off back to a good layer of paint or if need be to bare steel (not a fun job) but I did it to the first half of the car and then having checked for rust and holes decided it would be a good idea to stop up all the seams etc. with some silicone sealer/seam sealer ...

Next I wanted a coat of hammerite...

I still need to roll it on its other side to do the other sill and floor panel but by that point cleaning off the waxoil was getting on my tits a bit so will have to do it next time. And once it is all sealed and coated in hammerite I will give it a further coating with the underbody sealer (the stuff I have just cleaned off!) And then it should last a few years before rusting to bits again??? I say that but the floor and roof of my car were not hardly rusted at all, the worst rust I had was the boot floor, rear valance and rear quarter's. (I have no idea about the wings etc. as they didn't come with the car lol)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 12th Sep 2012, 06:23pm

Having flipped it over on to its other side I proceeded to use the grinder with its wire brush attachment to clean back the remaining parts. While doing this I discovered a couple of places where a spot of welding was in order, so sorted that. Then put the silicon seam sealer on, followed by hammerite thereby completing an uninterrupted coat over the entire underside of the car.

And onto that went the underbody sealer (a good coat of) so that the nooks and crannys are filled (rather than filling them with mud later!) but I did use a screw driver to clear the drain holes in the sills don't worry.

Yes the last two pic's do lok the same!

Other than that I have been considering the pros and cons of using a Suzuki G13BA rather than the G13BB as I had previously been planning. The pros are the BA will be a great deal simpler to get working as it needs a fraction of the electronics the BB needs and when I get it it will come with its loom driveshafts and gearbox, the cons are the BA is only an 8 valve not a 16 valve like the BB and so only only produces 67 HP as opposed to the BB's 80+ HP, I am leaning towards the BA for the sake of it being that much simpler and cheaper to get working(it has no need for a ECU or any of that nonsense.). I am not looking for a super fast pocket rocket anyway, and if I was I would go for G13B double overhead cam 16 valve kicking out approx 100 BHP. So in conclusion I dont know yet but will probably go for the simpler option of the BA but either way the subframe I make will take any of the above engines so I can always upgrade at a later date, just get it on the road for now init.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 14th Sep 2012, 03:29pm

Today I made this...

ready for when the handbrake go's back on, and fixed some bolts to the bottom of the car for it to be attached by.

I also got some more substantial casters (the last set were rubbish) and fitted them to the pallet, then stuck the pallet back on the bottom of the car and got the car right side up again.

Other than that I just looked at it a lot and came up with things to do to it some time, but mainly now I want to get my engine and gearbox and get cracking with that.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 15th Sep 2012, 07:04pm

Despite being one of the few places on my car not to have rust problems I had noticed the paint in the roof gutters flaking. And that gave me the idea that lining the gutters in silicon seam sealer before painting them would keep them in the excellent condition they are in, well that's the idea at least. So even tho I am quite probably still a year or more from painting the car I have sealed the gutters ready for painting eventually.

I started by wire brushing/sanding all I could of the paint and stuff out of the gutters.

and then in what turned out to be a very fiddly way I applied and smoothed the silicon. I will need to trim and neaten when its gone off, but found out the hard way not to touch it while its still sticky!!

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nozzle » Sat 15th Sep 2012, 08:56pm

Phatwiji wrote:silicon seam sealer before painting...

Is that normal bathroom/SPAM SPAM SPAM sealant stuff? If so this is something you will end up regretthing having done! Silicone and paint jobs are worst ever enemies, just the slightest trace of silicone and you end up with fish-eye in the paint job. The only way around this is to add an additive to the paint, (which itself contains silicone) and this contaminates the gun too and anything else in the workshop. Ever noticed that a can of WD40 says "contains no silicone"? Body shops go to great lengths to have no silicone in them, so the makers of WD40 went to the length of advertising this fact.

Nozzle
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: 1995 Rover Cooper SPi
1966 Morris Countryman

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 15th Sep 2012, 10:23pm

No it is automotive seam sealer, maybe I have misused the term "silicone sealer" but what I used was an automotive seam sealer that says it can be painted over (in fact I have used it and painted over it before). I sincerely hope I am right as I have used the same sealer in many places on the car and if I cant paint over it then I will have big problems.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 17th Sep 2012, 07:15pm

I checked the seam sealer out and it is not silicone, I forget what exactly it was but i'm now reassured it will paint ok. And hear it is trimmed and tidied with a quick coat of spray paint...

I seem unable to take a good pic of the gutters sorry.

Next I decided to have a look at fitting the petrol tank back in. It fits, but then it occurred to me I have no means of fixing it in place and no idea what the correct means of holding in place is/was? But after a quick consultation of the old Haynes I knocked up and fitted a set of tank straps...

And with it in place I gave it a good yanking, which it survived with ease so I am happy with it. then when I got home the internet informed me that the Haynes diagram I had used as inspiration for my straps was a bit out of date and that later tanks were held in with a diagonal strap, but never mind my strap is fine(I hope :? ).
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Raider » Wed 19th Sep 2012, 10:13pm

Well done on this, cracking job and giving me loads of inspiration, tips and encouragement to make improvements on my own '84 Mayfair.
Keep up the good work mate!
Raider
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: Rust fighter
Drives: 1984 Mini Mayfair 1275cc A+
VW T25 Campervan

Postby SalC » Wed 19th Sep 2012, 11:55pm

i hope to get to this standard one day and to be brave enough to tweak mine, great photos and descriptions
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 20th Sep 2012, 11:31am

Thanks for the encouragement, but I would say Sal there is no "standard" I have reached, it is just a willingness to have a go (even if that means the odd cock up!) I am lucky I have the time and space to fiddle with these things until they work (or not.). Speaking of things "not" working I have been spending some time seeing if I can breath new life in to the headlining that came with the collection of bits I like to call my car.

and as you can see it is a bit scabby to say the least. The key problems being a) the oil/grease stains all over it. b)the yellow discoloration around the edges that seems to be caused by the original glue seeping through the perforations and staining the front.

and c) a small but obvious rip.

I proceeded to try and figure out how to remedy these problems. Several hours thinking and tinkering later it becomes clear that it is just in not the right thing to do to reuse this crappy old headlining! I am sure if i needed to I could make good and refit the old lining, but I dont need to they sell new ones everywhere and they come with the pillar cover bits as well. I will get a full set from here I think, http://optauto.easyspaceshops.com/epage ... SubProduct

But not yet as I think I want to have sprayed the car before I put the windscreen's back in and I cant put them in until I have the headlining.

I will however be able to reuse the headlining bars (saving £50 odd) and looking at them I found one that needed some attention as the plastic whatsit from one end was snapped off. With the help of an old allan key I fashioned something of roughly the right shape and then stuck it in place, hear it is next to one of the others...

I then proceeded to make the end more like the shape of the others by gluing on a plastic bit around the allan key, will see how that worked out next time.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Thu 20th Sep 2012, 06:16pm

i would love to change the headlining in mine too, but have read its a difficult task, will be interesting to see how you find it, especially as you are, to use your own words ''a novice''. ell done on fashioning a new rod
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 20th Sep 2012, 06:52pm

I plan on following this guide http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... tructions/ that I found. the way I see it the hardest part of a new headlining is needing to remove then replace the front and back windows, and as all the glass is already out of my car I think that with the help of the guide and a bulk buy of bulldog clips it should be fairly painless (I am more worried about fitting the glass in after.). But I am getting ahead of myself I need a working engine first! And on that note with a bit of luck tomorrow a G13BA with its gearbox and bits and bobs will turn up along with an engine hoist and I will be able to make a start on my subframe. My car will then have a rather unnecessary 3 engines! I need to get rid of some I think, I defo wont be using the A+ but I may hang on to the G13BB for now.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Fri 21st Sep 2012, 09:37am

ah thats a really useful guide, thanks for adding the link i will definitely consider doing it now

good luck with yours
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 21st Sep 2012, 04:24pm

Ok so my new engine and gearbox arrived today looking insanely complex and far to big :shock: an expression about biting off and chewing springs to mind :cry:

but having spent some time removing the engine wiring loom and photographing exactly where each wire came from it started to look slightly less daunting. It is big though, it will be a job getting it to fit (even with the flip front) I have a feeling some bulkhead mod's may be on the cards :roll: but it did come with loads and loads of bits so that will make marrying the engines systems to the mini a little easier. I best start racking my brain as to the right way to tackle this subframe modification.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 1st Oct 2012, 04:16pm

Built a jig for my front subframe in order to make it easier to customise the subframe to accept the suzuki engine today.
My father kindly donated a spare scaffolding trestle to the cause, and it turned out to be ideal.

And with what ended up being very little modification (compared to what I was expecting) I turned it into this....

So now as I also acquired an engine hoist I am ready to attack the subframe itself (a worrying prospect.).

next thing to do is offer up the engine and then start to cut bits off the original subframe until I can make the drive shafts line up with the center of the openings beneath the towers (or as close as I can anyway) and have the driveshafts so they will end up roughly the same length. That is the first goal!
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Mon 1st Oct 2012, 09:44pm

your way ahead of me in skills, but i enjoy your posts, the trestle is perfect
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Tue 2nd Oct 2012, 07:04pm

Thanks Sal, I got my first bit of use out of the jig today. From looking at the builds of other people (mainly on the "16 valve mini forum") it was clear the lower arm mounting would need to be changed. I had seen how others had solved this and it seemed a fairly straight forward place to start regarding the modification of the subby.

I started by cutting some scrap of the right sort of thickness to about the right size and drilled a hole in it...

I then cut the lower arm pin/bit in half and offered the bits up checked they were a good fit and then tacked them in place...

I then cut a flat edge to the pin and welded a tab next to the hole to stop the pin from spinning, as per its original configuration.

I then welded in a triangular piece of steel as a bracing part to make the hole affair more ridged and fitted the arm in for size...

The only drawback with what I have done (as far as I can see) is that the lower arm pin is now couple of mm towards the front of the car due to the thickness of the extra steel. This means that the threaded end now sticks out 2-3mm less than it did. The problem with that is that now the thread doesn't make it all the way to the nylon locking part of the nut :? but no worrys I will just use a normal nut and try to remember to use locktight or some other thread locker on it.

I then proceeded to do the same to the other side...

thats all for now but I am happy with it, well happy considering I had to weld using flux cored wire because my gas ran out doing a favor for my dad (hence all the slag everywhere) it was also well fiddly. I guess I had better figure out what bits need to be cut off to fit the new engine and get chopping.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 5th Oct 2012, 09:16am

As a prelude to cutting up my subframe I offered up the engine, just to see where it wasn't going to fit. And what I saw was...

:shock:

Thats never going to fit, lol

Yes it will but it wont be easy, first thing is to get cutting.

and then some tidying up of my cuts

So next I need to weld things back in to make it big and strong enough to accept the engine.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gus88 » Fri 5th Oct 2012, 09:59am

Looking good :rock:
gus88
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: "Running really nicely"
Drives: 1988 Mayfair 998cc
1991 MX-5 1.6
2016 Octavia vRS

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 5th Oct 2012, 07:48pm

While having the subframe in such an accessible condition I thought I would take the opportunity to do something about the rather sloppy fit of the coil springs where they sit at the top of the tower.

So after some quick measurements I cut myself a couple of strips of steel and tacked them in...

Just the job :)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Fri 5th Oct 2012, 08:32pm

that looks like scary stuff to me lol, its coming along well though
SalC
Contributor
Contributor