[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1059: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1059: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4718: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4720: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4721: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4722: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
Minifinity The Classic Mini Forum and Resource | • View topic - 1984 mini mayfair

1984 mini mayfair

A place for everyone to share their experiences of pain, pleasure, sorrow and excitement... relating to their mini projects of course !

Moderators: Club Admins, Minifinity Staff

Re: 1984 mini mayfair

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 13th Apr 2013, 02:12pm

Ok so it was not the right ECU :(
the guy selling it neglected to tell me it was from a G10A Rather than as I had asked from a G13BA. I guess its back on ebay for that then :roll:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: Last thing I drove was a 1980 Mitsubishi Colt

Postby Phatwiji » Sun 14th Apr 2013, 06:38pm

Here is that 2nd fixing of the reed switch I was talking about, it's now fitted in such a way as the speedo can still be dismantled (This is so if I decide later it needs re-calibrating it can come apart)

The search for an ECU go's on :(

If you remember I have switched the heater round so all the pipes now come in via the passengers foot well and today I made progress getting the fresh air from outside of the engine bay where it wont stink using some spare parts of the swifts air filter box and some drain pipe...

this will line up just behind a pipe I will run from the grill along the top of the wing on the flip front so that there will be a constant flow of fresh air (thinking about it I will need to combine this with the cold air vents wont I!) oh well I will sort that out as well soon lol :roll:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 15th Apr 2013, 04:41pm

I made the speedo so the swifts cable would attach to it...

and fitted a load of ducting for providing fresh air to the vents, heater and air box/filter...

I will need to fit some other ducts to the flip front at a later point.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minbin69 » Mon 15th Apr 2013, 09:15pm

So that's where to hose of my tumble dryer went!!! :lol:

Coming along nicely mate..keep up the good work :D
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 15th Apr 2013, 09:37pm

minbin69 wrote:So that's where to hose of my tumble dryer went!!! :lol:

Coming along nicely mate..keep up the good work :D

Hey man I will use whatever I can get my hands on!

And I know what ECU I need now, big thanks to "fordem" and "rhinoman" at www.rhinopower.org who identified it for me.

so if anyone has a 33920-69E00 ECU kicking about give me a shout! (fat chance :roll: lol)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 16th May 2013, 03:49pm

So the ECU saga go's on and I don't even want to talk about it :?

So while i'v been waiting for that and brakes to sort themselves out I have not been doing much but today I was back on it and today was fitting the radiator, and it all went rather well I think. I started by making up a bracket to hold one side of the rad by its existing rubber mounting point...

I then held the rad using this so as to fit the front and decide where and how else to fix it, and check the fit...

Having established it would fit and where it was going to need to be held I made up a couple more brackets and fitted it all on....

I am confident there is space enough for me to plumb it all in so I reckon its a winner :)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minbin69 » Thu 16th May 2013, 05:16pm

looking good mate :D
didn't anyone tell you..your not meant to have any space in the engine bay..it's a mini!!!! :lol:
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 16th May 2013, 06:17pm

minbin69 wrote:looking good mate :D
didn't anyone tell you..your not meant to have any space in the engine bay..it's a mini!!!! :lol:

I use the term "space" loosely! By "space" I mean it will be possible for it to fit, not that it will be possible to fit it! not without children's hands at least :lol: the advantage I have is that I can take the front of the car off, if I couldn't do that I would be in real trouble :shock:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minbin69 » Thu 16th May 2013, 09:17pm

:lol: removable front end is always gonna be handy :D
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crawford1982 » Sat 18th May 2013, 01:24pm

your doing really well bud, really impressive.
crawford1982
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: yeah, I probably don't know.
Drives: mini mayfair

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 18th May 2013, 05:55pm

crawford1982 wrote:your doing really well bud, really impressive.

Thanks mate :D

It gives me something to waste/spend my time and money on :wink:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Tue 21st May 2013, 02:57pm

With the rad in place I decided to have a look at its hoses today and what I was going to need to do to finish off the cooling system. I started by seeing ho much I could put together using the bits of hose I had kicking around, and after some messing around the answer it seemed was all of it :) so all i need to get hold of is 5 or 6 more spring clips and the system is water tight (baring the inevitable leaks that will need sorting)

As you can see I am seriously starting to run out of space lol I am fairly sure there is space enough for the master cylinder to go back in.

I also finally got round to finishing off that de-bounce circuit...

I'm very happy to be back making progress again :)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Aaron3 » Mon 8th Jul 2013, 09:19pm

Updates please the suspense is killing me. Lol
Aaron3

Tag Line: fast cars and fast woman is all a man needs
Drives: Mini city e Nissan pathfinder Mach 1 mustang

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 10th Jul 2013, 08:15pm

Aaron3 wrote:Updates please the suspense is killing me. Lol

:lol: Yes me to!

Things have had to go on hold for a little while because the litigation I have been tied up in for over half a decade has finally come to an end :D Yay! And this means that for the moment my priority has to be finding, buying and moving to a new house (and garage/workshop) all of my own (double yay!!)
We have our eye on a likely candidate and will we hope be making an offer on it within a week or so meaning things wont have to stop for to long I hope, its all a bit up in the air right now.
Having said that there has been the odd moment of two in which I have turned my attention to the mini and I am not attempting to tackle the ECM and wiring issues until I can give it my full focus. As such I have been having a little look at making a dash, and figuring out how to fix it and what I want it to look like etc.
The next big update will be introducing the minis new home and the workshop I have to work on it in :rock:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 10th Jul 2013, 08:28pm

One rather annoying turn up, all that cleverness of building the de-bounce circuit for my VSS/ECU problem that I did was a total waste as I am now told the ECU has a built in de-bounce :roll:

Oh well, I got to sniff the solder flux again and I love that :)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gus88 » Wed 10th Jul 2013, 08:44pm

So have you sourced your ECU now?
gus88
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: "Running really nicely"
Drives: 1988 Mayfair 998cc
1991 MX-5 1.6
2016 Octavia vRS

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 10th Jul 2013, 08:59pm

In the end I needed an ECU with its immobliser unit, and the immobliser needed the key, and the key needed the ignition barrel to read it! :shock:
All of this I was eventually able to find on German ebay at a not inconsiderable price but there was not really any other way around it, without the electronics box the engine was scrap metal!

I had not been boring you guys to much with all the details of that saga but if anyone is interested I was keeping a diary of that on here http://rhinopower.activeboard.com/t5344 ... ject/?a=53
As you can see the main man "Rhinoman" has been as helpful as he can but in the end as I knew what I needed now, buying it in was the only sensible way to sort it. Wiring the whole bloody lot into the car is another game all together and I am more than a little apprehensive of that I can tell you.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gus88 » Thu 11th Jul 2013, 12:58pm

Wow...I so want this to work for you!
gus88
Contributor
Contributor

1991 MX-5 1.6
2016 Octavia vRS

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 11th Jul 2013, 02:31pm

gus88 wrote:Wow...I so want this to work for you!

I am sure it will work in the end, the only question is how much trouble there will be in getting there!

I did actually spend some time on the car this morning. I am endeavoring to fabricate a mock-up dash in order to establish fixing points etc. I rediscovered some of the interior trim bits and intend to make a dash and use them in a way like this...

I don't know how it is that others fix the dash in but I have made up some mounting brackets today and am happy they will do the job. More on that as and when it happens
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minbin69 » Thu 11th Jul 2013, 09:35pm

mate that looks spot on as always :mrgreen:
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 11th Jul 2013, 09:48pm

LOL :lol: No sorry I wasn't clear, that is sort of how I will want my dash to look! That is actually just a pic I found on the net. The temporary dash I have made looks nothing like that but the dash rails in the picture are the same as the ones I have.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minbin69 » Thu 11th Jul 2013, 09:56pm

should of known...yours will be way better :lol:
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 18th Jul 2013, 03:25pm

Having established some mounting points (easier said than done) I am now able to mount my mock dash with the speedo, vents and starting panel.

Bearing in mind that this is only a temporary practice one I think it is going to look good, I still need to fit the rev counter and temp gauge. Then I need to decide what else (if anything) I want on/in it? Then make a nice finished one :)

Also I buying a house and so with a bit of luck I will be moving the project into this rather nice looking garage :D

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 26th Jul 2013, 02:49pm

I have now been evicted from my dads garage as he needs it for some work he is doing. This gave me the push to sort out one or two things, namely removing the "crate on casters" from the bottom of the car and for the first time sitting it on its own 4 wheels :) That done I did a few very rough front suspension adjustments in order that it wasn't sat on the bump stops and the wheels pointed in approximately the same direction.

I have also checked that the boot still fits...

With the car outside again for now I invested in a new tarp to wrap it all up in (not that there is to much rain right now!) I have been very happy to see the car looking and being a lot more like a car again, it even rolled out of the garage to its new resting place on its wheels!! I steered it and everything :D

Seeing it in the sun with its fantastic wheels on and everything really made my day, it is going to be great when its all done (even if I say so myself). All I need to do is sort that god dam wiring and the rest is plain sailing i'm sure.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 2nd Aug 2013, 01:49pm

I have done a little more messing around with the dash and decided on the instruments/gauges and there position. In the end I went for a rev counter and mounted that to the left of the center speedo. I thought about having it on the right directly in front of the driver but decided I could then see it less (because of the steering wheel) than if it was further away. The setup inside the mini is so small that it is easy to see the rev counter despite it being on the other side of the car! Other than that I have gone for a coolant temp gauge, a smiths one, that will be interesting to make read right with the suzuki sender :lol: .

I am toying with the idea of a stereo in the space on the left but am not yet sure, may even go for the retro cool of a CB radio :wink: not that there would ever be anyone worth talking to on it but it gives you a reason to have a huge aerial on top of your car :rock:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 2nd Aug 2013, 05:35pm

Something I decided to do today is try the exhaust on for size now that the car is on its wheels! It was a bit of a game getting it to fit on working alone but I got there...

Considering the car is pretty much sat on its bump stops (due to me not yet adjusting the suspension at all) I think the clearance is quite good :)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Sun 4th Aug 2013, 09:21pm

well, well, you have been busy, you've made loads of progress, well done on all the problem solving.

at least now its on all 4 wheels i can recognise things :lol: its looks great so far

hope the house move goes smoothly (if there is such a thing as an easy house sale)
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: My other half up the wall :)

Postby Phatwiji » Sun 4th Aug 2013, 10:21pm

Hi Sal, not seen you for a bit. I hope things are well?

I also hope the house go's ahead without problems, i'm looking forward to settling down in a house that's mine :)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Mon 5th Aug 2013, 03:31pm

life threw a couple of spanners in the works, but back on track now and fully motivated to crack on with the car
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: My other half up the wall :)

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 29th Nov 2013, 01:20pm

Hi again, Its time for a quick update I think. I have moved house and now have my own garage in which to work on the mini, thats the good news the bad news is that the moving stress has caused me to forget just about everything I was doing regarding the mini lol. Oh well when I get back into it I will be fine I hope.

The new work space is nice (even if the family do keep cluttering it up with junk!) and I have moved the car and most of the tools etc. over.

So its not exactly organised yet but it has potential :D

I don't know yet exactly when I will really be cracking back on with the car as there are a few tasks around the house that i'm led to believe are more important but I will be cracking back on some time soon I hope
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 5th May 2014, 07:36pm

I'm not exactly back on the project full swing yet but there are a few things possibly worthy of jotting down in the old diary.

Having now redecorated just about the whole house and remodeled the SPAM SPAM SPAM and front garden I am once again allowed to go and play in the garage (until the baby is born later this month that is.). So first on the agenda was space and organisation, this was achieved by a)Building a bike shed for the bikes. b)Building another shed to keep all the garden bit and bobs in, like the mower and wheel barrow. and c) boarding out the joists to make a sort of attic space in the garage so anything that wasn't going in the loft in the house can just be chucked up there out the way.

I then decided it would be worth while to rewire the garage and give it a proper supply rather than it just spurring off one of the house sockets. This was done giving me plenty of light and sockets to play with.

So I got in there today and was re-familiarising myself with the project and trying to sus out what to get on with next (Trying not to think about the up and coming wiring/ECU nightmare yet) and to my great disappointment and annoyance I discovered a flat tire :shock: The car has only moved 100m on those tires ! Having taken the wheel off I found a bent drawing pin on the floor under where it had been and guess this is probably to blame. I have pumped it back up in the hope that it will magically not go flat again this time but we will see :|

On the plus side I am newly enthused with the project and cant wait to get stuck back in :rock:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 4th Sep 2015, 03:24pm

So I finally actually did something on the car again.....

First the tiny job of fitting a new oil filter (not the oil though)

then fitting a brand new master cylinder (after all the trouble with the other one I think it was knackered) but am yet to bleed it up and test it as it will need 2 people.

And then on to maybe the most daunting part of the build, the wiring. I have elected to custom build a new loom (for the engine electrics at least) and have now got as far as getting all the wire and stuff together and fitting the correct(ish) colored wires to the ecu connectors in the right locations......

now I just need to connect the other ends :)

I am fairly confident I have all the information I need to do that It is just a matter of taking it one wire at a time and making double sure I wire it to the right place, I have the internet, a load of PDF manuals and if I get totaly stuck I will try rhinoman at "RhinoPower forums" as he was very helpful in identifying the ecu for me in the first place.
A way to go still but it is nice to be working on it again!
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gus88 » Sat 5th Sep 2015, 10:36am

Good to see you back at it again :D
gus88
Contributor
Contributor

1991 MX-5 1.6
2016 Octavia vRS

Postby Zippyrude » Sat 5th Sep 2015, 01:52pm

Wiring, my worse nightmare... Good luck...
Zippyrude
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: Help support Minifinity
paypal@minifinity.com
Drives: projects galore

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 5th Sep 2015, 07:41pm

Thanks guys.
Had another hour or so on the wires again today and have started to link the ECU connectors to the engine sensors etc. using the old loom as an aid/guide and for pinching the correct connectors off.

So far I have wired in the ECT sensor, EGR valve stepper motor, VSS and IAT sensor. Not very rapid progress I know but the way I see it is, as long as I am not making mistakes it doesn't matter if I only manage one wire a day I will get it done in the end. So I am happy taking it slow and going on the internet to double check details every 5 minutes (not to mention finding out what all these acronyms mean and where on the engine to find them!) which is fine as I only have fairly short chunks of free time between babysitting duties...

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Tue 8th Sep 2015, 08:29pm

here I have fitted the injector resistor and behind that the main fuses connected to both the battery (or the cable running to the back at least I dont have a battery yet) and to the altenator, you can also see in that picture the MAP sensor.

and here is the ignition coil and "noise suppressor" (whatever that is?) and you can see the bunch of purple wires that lead to the monitor coupler.

I have been trying really hard to get things right, I dread having to try and track down mistakes at a later date but, that does makes the going fairly slow as does soldering all the wire joines (I don't trust my crimpers.) But its ok I am quite enjoying it, it has been a while since I really got stuck into something and I love electrical soldering (smells great!). I will probably need to disconnect and reconnect some joins later in order to sleeve the cables but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby asahartz » Tue 8th Sep 2015, 09:56pm

Phatwiji wrote:and here is the ignition coil and "noise suppressor" (whatever that is?)

It cuts out radio interference.
asahartz
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: Slow down for bends? Why?
Drives: 89 Mini Sky, 71 Mini Clubman, 04 Audi TT V6

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 9th Sep 2015, 08:48am

asahartz wrote:
It cuts out radio interference.

Ok thanks, I was thinking it would be something like that. I was guessing it somehow reduced the radio noise caused by the spark plugs and helped stop that interference effecting the ECU or something.
I will just trust that it will do whatever it is its meant to do :wink:

Edit: My man at Rhino Power reliably informs me "The noise suppressor filters out the high voltage spikes from the low side of the coil, the signal out of the noise suppressor is used for the rev counter and in some ECUs for the 'Ignition fail Safe' signal that cuts fuel if there is no spark."
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Sun 20th Sep 2015, 10:45pm

With the exception of the "data" cable running to the immobiliser I believe I have run all the wires from the ECM to where they need to be, I am now working on the ignition, starter switch, power supply and fuses. I am using more relays than is absolutely necessary I know but I dont know how much current will be drawn or for that matter the rating of the switches i'm using, so I am using some 40A relays and am fairly confident no more than that will be drawn (the starter motor relay is 70A though.).

I'm still waiting to get hold of some bigger axle stands so I can get under the car and get to the starter motor so haven't sorted that out yet, and I must at some point buy a battery and some oil for the engine but that and wiring in the immobiliser would bring me within sight of a test run (of the engine at least.). But don't count on it, there is many a slip twixt cup and lip.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 28th Oct 2015, 07:50pm

Right well I have a few bits of progress to report, no. 1 the new petrol tank I got is now all sorted, by which I mean the minis fuel pump has been swapped for my origional swift petrol pump that I was able to reclaim from my previous effort.
So tank all sorted...

In the name of doing my fuel system properly I did decide to replace/upgrade the fuel lines as I was really not happy with the cheap ones I had...
I am much happier with these and as you can see I have doubled layered the parts of the hose that could potentially rub during operation.
I also decided that this would be a neat place to fit the fuel filter....

On top of that I have been starting to make some preparations for a test run of the engine soon, namely filling with engine oil. I have been warned that as the engine has been drained of oil, sat for some time and hasn't been run in years that I would really need to work some oil around the engine before starting it up. So this I did, I removed the spark plugs and hot wired the starter motor..... but aside from a few clicks nothing. After a little research into seized engines I chucked some WD40 into the pistons left it over night and then turned the engine over via the nut on the crankshaft pulley, it came loose easily but still the battery I had could not turn it over. Deciding the battery just didn't have the balls any more I swapped it for a different one and bingo it turned over a treat :) a few cycles of cranking till the battery is flat then charging and repeat should lubricate things up nicely inside the engine ready for firing up!
Lastly I have finally got round to sorting the brakes out and bleeding them up, I am pleased to report (at last) that they are (or appear to be at least) fine and operating correctly. They will of course as everything does need further attention and correct setting up and adjustment when I am able to test things fully and actually get it moving on a road, but once its running there will be a lot of readjustment and realignment needed.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Members Journals