[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1059: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1059: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4718: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4720: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4721: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4722: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/viewtopic.php:1)
Minifinity The Classic Mini Forum and Resource | • View topic - 1984 mini mayfair

1984 mini mayfair

A place for everyone to share their experiences of pain, pleasure, sorrow and excitement... relating to their mini projects of course !

Moderators: Club Admins, Minifinity Staff

Re: 1984 mini mayfair

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 30th Jan 2013, 08:28pm

Nozzle wrote:How do you get each half running on the same centre and parallel and balanced? This have always confused me! Do you machine them circular again afterwards so they're cylindrical and won't vibrate?

Nozzle

I am just establishing the correct length for the shafts, I will take these mock ups to an engineering shop and get the guys there to either a) redo my joins properly. or b) make a set from scratch using my mock ups as a guide. But then yes the shafts should then be straight, running on the same center and balanced. they wont end up exactly the same length as each other but they will be close enough.
Others have found ways of joining the two halves themselves using sleeves and things, but I do not have the means nor do I trust I would be able to be accurate enough. A failure would be very bad so I dont want them to snap!
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: Last thing I drove was a 1980 Mitsubishi Colt

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 6th Feb 2013, 09:13pm

So I am still trying to decide what is the best thing to do to sort out the driveshafts, I am still looking into several different options. I was wanting to find a way of getting the splines cut by somebody but so far no joy.
In the mean time I have been fiddling and have done one of two bits. Firstly when looking at fitting my flexible brake lines It became clear they would run unacceptably close to the crank shaft pulley so I made a guard for it...

I then made a couple of brackets to hold the brake lines at the join between copper and flexible...

I also found a way of getting the vacuum pipe to the servo using some copper pipe work...

So thats where im up to but for now i'm still open to advice and sugestions as to the best thing to do about the driveshafts?
I have a fresh set of mini shafts on there way to me so that gives me a few more options as to joining the shafts. But I would love to find a way to do it with out joining two halves together! But I am aware that the joining is the standard solution.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Wed 6th Feb 2013, 09:16pm

more complicated stuff, but still an interesting project to watch
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: My other half up the wall :)

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 7th Feb 2013, 03:10pm

What do we of think this idea?
I would rather not join 2 shafts and it seems cutting new splines into the mini shaft is going to be complicated and cost me a bomb, so I had an idea. Could I not join this....

to the end of my cut to length mini shaft using a woodruff key (or 2 or 3 if needed for strength.)? This would obviously take significantly less machining work and (to my mind at least) seems a much simpler way of doing the job while keeping the center true and not making it all to week.
Im sure I remember when I rebuilt my DT50s engine a woodruff key was all that held the main gear from the crankshaft!?

I remember because I forgot to put it back in the first time lol
I had put it all back together then found a 8mm semi cirlce of steel on the floor and knew straight away what I had done doh!
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 15th Feb 2013, 05:26pm

The question of driveshafts has now been answered, The guys I had taken my mockups to have rejoined and sleeved them in such a way that they are straight and pucker :D

I have also been working on getting the gear stick fitted and the linkage all sorted so I will be able to change gears...

That is the easy bit of the gear selector sorted now I need to join that bit to the gearbox!
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 18th Feb 2013, 05:24pm

I have managed to fit the gear stick in a way i'm happy with (for now at least) and most importantly fitted a funky little knob!

I also used a little trick I read about somewhere and made my track rod arms a little longer so they will work with my -ve camber, this is apparently an old trick that came from a 70s mini modding book and involves welding a nut onto the end of the track rod to make its threaded length longer...

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 20th Feb 2013, 05:05pm

Ok, so I hoisted and propped up the front of the car so as to get at the gear linkage...

sorry about the photos I have a new phone and its camera has no flash so its often hard to take a nice pic of the dark bits of car :(

I then offered up, marked, cut, bent and then welded the rods...

that all went to plan except for cutting a bit to much off of one rod and needing to find another bit if steel to sleeve it with, but once i found it it was soon sorted and I was able to install it all...

And for the first time in years that mini changed gear :) [edit] and for the first time ever it changes into 5th lol

I ran the box through all 6 gears and it works fine so I am happy that is that problem sorted, now onto the next.....
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crawford1982 » Sat 23rd Feb 2013, 09:40am

Great journal mate - really showing folks just what can be tackled on your own.
crawford1982
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: yeah, I probably don't know.
Drives: mini mayfair

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 23rd Feb 2013, 03:51pm

crawford1982 wrote:Great journal mate - really showing folks just what can be tackled on your own.

Thanks,
I am only able to do this thanks to the journals of others who have done this before me, there is little that's an original idea of mine. I started on the basis that "if they can do it so can I" and decided I would just research and figure things out as I went along.

Oh and I cant get to cocky as nothing has been shown to actually work yet!
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 27th Feb 2013, 08:30pm

So with the gears sorted I decided to pull out the engine once again and strip off the subframe to tip the shell back on its side in order for me to work on fitting brake and fuel lines.

If nothing else it made me tidy up the workshop again lol.
After some thinking about using micro bore copper pipe (as there was some kicking about) for the fuel line I decided that would just make things unnecessarily tricky and so have ordered some flexy rubber fuel line instead. I am also still waiting for brake line and bits to turn up so in the mean time I have decided to do some finishing on the subframe.
My original plan for this was to get it sandblasted clean then either powder coated or even galvanised, I suspended this plan because A) the processes have potential drawbacks ie. damaging threads and making openings smaller. B) It occurs to me I have a fair bit more time to spend than money to spend lol.
So I did it the hard way using elbow grease (and wire brush grinder attachment) Once all the grease dirt and lose rust was gone I slapped on a coat of cure rust...

Then with that done it was a coat of acid etch primer on all the bare steel and welded bits which ended up being just about all of it. And once that was dry I started on some seem sealer into any gaps and have so far done about a quarter of that.

Then I got thoroughly fed up with the cold and came home.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Fri 1st Mar 2013, 12:45am

damn the cold, roll on spring!

this sort of work i understand, been cleaning up my subs and undercoating them, but not happy with them so will be doing them again in places, looks like your doing yours right the first time
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 1st Mar 2013, 07:04pm

Spent today carrying on with the subframe, namely applying seam sealer to every welded seam and also using it to fill any nooks crannys or gaps I find (the theory is if its full of sealer it cant be full of dirt, rust or water!) I got so fed up with that sticky dam stuff that I was just smearing it on everything in the end :? I think its fine though.

I didn't take a pic of it with the sealing finished but just imagine that last picture but with the front rail where the hinges are all black as well. lol
Then while that drys I had some heat proof paint with which to finish the exhaust manifold...

and finally as the car was on its side anyway and I had a spare few minuets another coat of "underbody sealer" went on, belt and braces approach to preventing rust I think lol I just hope I never need to clean it off again :shock:

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SalC » Sat 2nd Mar 2013, 06:45pm

i have the pleasure of cleaning thick, leathery waxoyl off the bottom and arches of mine, some of it is coming off in big clumps, the majority will have to be heated up to get it off, its a bloody nightmare and i shall not be using it, i am going to keep mine with just 2pk on it so i can see whats going on underneath, i do plan to cavity seal though and seal up behind/inside the wings, front end etc
SalC
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 2nd Mar 2013, 07:03pm

There does seem to be mixed feelings on the best way to protect the underside of the car but after weighing up the pro's and con's I decided it was the thing for me. I have paint on the bottom (hammerite) and am tanking it in the underseal (which contains waxoyl) so there will be no space for water at all, and it will be a thick enough layer to resist stone chips etc. Every corner and seam are already filled with sealer and painted over, with the underseal over that. I think it will be hard for nature to get at the steel for a while :twisted:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nozzle » Sun 3rd Mar 2013, 10:29am

Have you ever tried Gravitex?

I have used this, seems to go on well (if you have a compressor) and is overpaintable - and is also not stonechip (alledged to flake away).

Nozzle
Nozzle
Contributor
Contributor

Drives: 1995 Rover Cooper SPi
1966 Morris Countryman

Postby Phatwiji » Tue 5th Mar 2013, 09:52pm

I got round to fitting the fuel lines today, all went well. Not to exciting but "chip chip and the blocks done" I have been getting the brake line ready to but am waiting for the proportioning valve before fitting it all on.

Nozzle wrote:Have you ever tried Gravitex?

I have used this, seems to go on well (if you have a compressor) and is overpaintable - and is also not stonechip (alledged to flake away).

Nozzle

Nope never heard of it, but there is no way I am changing the plan now lol Maybe next time?
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 9th Mar 2013, 05:05pm

After having covered my subframe in the sealer it then became apparent that the top coat paint I had got for the job would not dry properly if applied over it! Bummer but after some experimentation I discovered that with a coat of acrylic grey primer between them there was no problem (huge sigh of relief) so that is what i did...

That should keep the rust at bay for a while, and looks quite smart even if I say so myself.
I also finished tarting up my exhaust manifold...

And looked into what will need to be done to the exhaust to make it fit...

about a foot and a half to long and an unnecessary kink, so...

Yep that will be better, I can make that work I think.
And lastly I have this...

so now I can finish fitting the brake line to the bottom of the car.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 11th Mar 2013, 05:26pm

After some research, thinking and fiddling I decided that I would not fit the swifts fuel sender unit into my tank (which was my original plan as thats what I had seen done before.). Instead I think the plan is to use a suitable external fuel pump and have it in the boot or attached to the rear subby or something. I dont know what pump yet but I am sure I will be told or figure it out soon enough, and I can get rid of/sell the swift sender unit and try to get my money back. Having made that decision I still needed a fuel return in the mini's tank...

As the mini was already on it side, and I am starting to assemble things in earnest now I decided to take the opportunity to fit the rear subframe. And I am glad I did! As I had to do a lot of welding to the back end of my mini the subframes mounting holes din not exactly line up perfectly. But with a bit of "persuasion" I got the bolts in, and was very glad I wasn't scrabbling about underneath to do it! I got the subby as a complete reconditioned unit and so it has gone on with everything already on it, all I needed to do was attach the brakes etc.
The subframe has been in storage for the winter as I bought it 6 months or so ago and in that time some parts have already picked up some surface rust (which I was not happy to discover) so as a plan to further protect it I intend to absolutely plaster the underside of the car (once assembled) with a layer of spray chain lube which is sticky enough to stay put. And although this will I have no doubt end up making the underside get very dirty black and icky It will also stop water. To be honest its the underside if its not rusting I dont care how dirty it looks!

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 14th Mar 2013, 05:24pm

Right first things first, fixed the fuel return pipe issue but with copper pipe this time and in from the top!

Then with the adapter bits for the proportioning valve I was able to fit on some brake lines...

And then I started looking at the fuel pump, I removed it from the sender unit and had a little look and it seems that it will need a little mod to work when not submerged and in the tank but I have a plan for that.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 18th Mar 2013, 09:59pm

Thought I would stick an update on here, I have been arguing the toss over a couple of issues with the 16v mini guys but will spare you the details and just report the conclusions.
As was in my last post I moved the fuel return pipe so that it came in through the top (I am not totally convinced this was needed but there we go.), and I decided further mods were needed on the fuel tank to do the job of a "swirl pot", by which I mean combat any fuel starvation issues. This was done by adding a bowl to the low point of the minis tank and extending the fuel pick line up into it...

As far as i'm concerned this will improve things (not that they would necessarily have been a problem)

I also decided that I would modify the "in tank" swift fuel pump I have so it would work outside the tank. After looking at it it turned out not to be a simple as I hoped, but I went for it anyway and built a new end cap for it put it all together and tested it and I think it will be fine...

I also sorted a means of fixing the pump to the rear subframe...

and lastly I had a bit of a bash at cleaning the engine...

and thats about the lot for now, cheers :)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 20th Mar 2013, 05:13pm

I rigged up a test set up for my fuel pump a bit like this...

And decided to pump meths in the end (as I had some) which is purple and so looks cool
As I first fired up the pump there were some rather odd noises and a bunch of bubbles and not a lot else, this continued to be the case for a while as i put the power on then off again a few times (each off was followed by a flurry of bubbles coming out of the pumps in hole) then just as I was about to admit defeat and hang my head in shame the pump suddenly decided it was ready and bosh it all flowed a treat...(grabbed my phone to get some proof)

http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/phatwiji/media/002_zps29c36aed.mp4.html

the stuttering is me failing to hold the wire on the battery properly!

I am happy with it I just need to remember when I finally fuel up the car I need to make sure the pump is primed by running some petrol through the finished set up, but out of the engine end of the line and not into the engine. So as a) the pump is primed and good to go and b) some petrol is blasted through to clean it out.

I found, (whilst butchering the power steering pump pot for parts) a likely looking filter that could be re-tasked as a sediment filter on my fuel pick up line in the tank (I kinda killed the original when cutting the hole!)

so with that in place I tacked on the bowl thingy...

and then used the petrol resistant "chemical metal" to seal it all up....

not the most beautiful thing I ever did but I think its fit for purpose

I mounted the pump now its finished...

I also finished de-greasing and cleaning the engine.

I was thinking about what else might be useful and easyer to do before putting the car the right way up again and I decided finding some means of mounting the exhaust might be good, I do not really know how or ehat others have done about this but as I was looking at what bits I had available to hold the exhaust to the car I came across the suzuki engine mounts and figured I could use that by bolting it to the rear subframe and then running a bolt through to the exhaust (to a bracket I will fashion)

I continued with the exhaust mounting made a bracket and welded it to the back box so that I could then bolt to the (engine mount) mounting point, the exhaust is set back a bit so the box can be tucked neatly out the way but I will at a later date get hold of a nice chrome exhaust end pipe bit so it extends a more normal amount.

I also painted up my tank...

and got the car back the right way up ready to start the final assembly (well at least to assemble without immediate plans to take it apart again!)

Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 22nd Mar 2013, 04:13pm

I had another hour or two today to continue with the project and was able to re-install the top arms and springs. Then having reassembled the engine I could put that back in also...

It all seems to be coming together, I need to adjust the odd thing but nothing serious.
I have also just taken delivery of these...

so as soon as I get round to grinding the rims of my wheels and spray on the clear top coat I can stick these on and the car will be rolling!
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minbin69 » Fri 22nd Mar 2013, 07:20pm

looking good mate..nice to see it all starting to come together =P~
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 22nd Mar 2013, 08:39pm

minbin69 wrote:looking good mate..nice to see it all starting to come together =P~

Thank you :D
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Sun 24th Mar 2013, 04:57pm

As I have the tires now I thought it was about time I got round to finishing the restoration of my wheels, well I did start them a year ago now! The problem with them was always that every process that was needed to restore them to a good looking condition again involved some really fiddly work, going in to loads of corners and rubbing them with this then that then the other and then finally when you had it looking good you had to do it all three more times. I had them all at the stage of having cleaned back all the old layers of finish, ground off the messy casting marks and roughly polished the raised edges so they were all like this...

I then painted all the recessed area in black...

And then finally as I now have free spinning hubs on the car I was able to make this set up for grinding and polishing the rims...

so here is one finished next to one about to be done (not a great photo sorry)

I managed to get 3 out of 4 done today and after I have done all 4 there will be a coat of clear wheel lacquer to finish them off. I cant wait to get them finished with the tires on and everything, I think they will look the s**t :)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minbin69 » Sun 24th Mar 2013, 05:45pm

more top work..dam they look good mate
so love the grinding/polishing set up..gotta get me one of those :D
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Sun 24th Mar 2013, 05:49pm

minbin69 wrote:more top work..dam they look good mate
so love the grinding/polishing set up..gotta get me one of those :D

Its just a buffing wheel (my dad made that one years ago out of an old washing machine motor) up against the alloy so that the friction spins the wheel. I am sure you can fine something similar to transfer some rotary motion to the wheel.

Or if/when you get the engine in and running you can prop the front up and use that.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Mon 25th Mar 2013, 05:14pm

So I finished all four wheels and then lacquered them...

I am happy with them but I half wish I had gone to the trouble of doing the clear coat first then masking it to spray the black on top. I liked the mat flat finish the black had before, now the whole wheel is glossy. It is not flawless but like I said i'm happy I cant wait to get the tires on.

Then I sorted out the front brake lines...

Its starting to look a bit like spaghetti junction up in there lol
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Wed 27th Mar 2013, 04:43pm

Fitted the accelerator and throttle cable today...

that's one more thing off the list!
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Thu 28th Mar 2013, 07:13pm

:)
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 29th Mar 2013, 08:19pm

Wheels now on...

but annoyingly it turns out I do need an ECU after all, and I dont have one.

the wheels being on is a milestone I have been working towards for a while and so I have to get my head round the next steps, I bunged in the drivers seat and all the pedals feel like they are in a good position and operate nicely. I have to try and get my head round what i'm doing next as there are no 100 possible things I could work on.

As you can just about see on the pics I got the shocks, alternator and brace bars fitted back on and there is a special order these things must be installed or the others wont fit lol they fit fine once there on though.

Exciting times but I do keep finding more stuff I need to buy/find as what I have is no good, eg. was looking at the searing column and discovered the searing lock was on and I dont have the keys! Drilling out bolts for me then.

:( there are so many poxy little bits and pices I now need to find.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minbin69 » Fri 29th Mar 2013, 08:41pm

looking good mate..and those wheels look better than new!! jealous..Much!!! :D
sad thing is not matter how well you plan it theres always gonna bits that get overlooked forgotten or don't look as good as you remember them being/or manage to damage themselves while packed away..
keep up the good work you know it'll be over soon :lol:
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Tue 2nd Apr 2013, 03:51pm

After some cutting and pasting of exhaust parts and much undignified scrabbling about in the dust under the car (combined with a rather large amount of swearing) I was able to fit the exhaust to the car in a way I hope will be sufficient.

here are some pictures...

It was a game getting everything to fit but now its done I am happy that it will work well and it looks neat (neat enough for me at least) :D
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby minbin69 » Tue 2nd Apr 2013, 04:10pm

Looking good as always mate..no ones gonna be looking that close under there..well unless you run them over :lol:
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Tue 2nd Apr 2013, 06:23pm

minbin69 wrote:Looking good as always mate..no ones gonna be looking that close under there..well unless you run them over :lol:

Thanks mate, wouldn't it be a shame though if the last thing you saw in this life was shoddy workmanship :shock: much better for your last thoughts to be "oh look, that's some tidy tidy work!" :lol:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Fri 12th Apr 2013, 06:18pm

ok so my run of things not going to plan appears to have come to an end (I only said appears mind!) I have found and ECU that "may" be the right one for a good price. And thats lucky because most are american automatic ecu's and utterly useless to me, or people know what they are worth and charge silly money. I never actually found out for sure which ecu my engine is meant to have but the one im getting cant be far off, the mapping may be a little different but it will have to do.
To go with the ecu i need something in the way of a VSS and as I dont have the swift to pinch it from I have gone for the DIY option using a reed switch and a de-bounce circuit (not my work just copying what the internet research turned up)
first cut hole

then attach reed switch

and then build de-bounce circuit

its not actually finished yet the reed switch is on to mk2 fitting (that I have no pic of yet) and that works lovely (very nice to hear the switch tic as the speedo turns!)
and i'm still waiting on some resistors to finish off the board.
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Zippyrude » Fri 12th Apr 2013, 07:03pm

Some crazy stuff going on here!
Zippyrude
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: Help support Minifinity
paypal@minifinity.com
Drives: projects galore

Postby minbin69 » Fri 12th Apr 2013, 09:14pm

don't have a clue what any of that means..but it sounds impressive :D
minbin69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Phatwiji » Sat 13th Apr 2013, 12:36am

Right, to make things clearer. The engine I am using is an electronically controlled injection system and so it needs a computer (ECU) to run it. In order for the ECU to do its thing it needs data from various sensors one of which is the VSS or vehicle speed sensor, and this lets the ECU know how fast the car is going (why the F it needs to know is beyond me but there you go?)
So from ebay I found an ECU that will (I hope) be as near as dam it right! and I am adding the VSS using a modification method someone on the 16v mini site suggested.
It may even work? :?
Looks cool though right?? :lol:
Phatwiji
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lilspeed » Sat 13th Apr 2013, 07:50am

Looks really cool! Definitely an ingenious way of solving the problem.

I don't know what a VSS does for the ECU either, but I know that when it failed on my mate's old Fiesta, it was holding 3k RPM between gear changes, so you probably need one!

Keep up the good work :D
Lilspeed
Contributor
Contributor

Tag Line: Ain't the chrome that gets you home.
Drives: Mini Based Freestyle Buggy

PreviousNext

Return to Members Journals